Friday, April 25, 2008

More from Rotisserie's Founding Fathers

"For four hours, we batted around names and prices, and actually, it felt like old times. But at one point, I looked down at the rosters and saw Ken Griffey Jr., Tony Gwynn Jr., Prince Fielder, Chris Duncan, Aaron Boone, Jose Cruz Jr., Scott Hairston, Jason Kendall, Justin Speier, Daryle Ward and Jayson Werth, and realized I had once bid on all their fathers."

Hot on the heels of the WSJ article about Glen Waggoner's retirement that I linked to earlier today comes this ESPN The Magazine piece by Steve Wulf writing about what appears to be the final Draft for the original Rotisserie League's Founding Fathers.

The article comes with an associated video, which features footage from that Final Draft and interviews with Wulf, Dan Okrent, Glen Waggoner, Rob Fleder, and others. Highly recommended reading/viewing:

The Last Rotisserie Draft

Note on the video: I've still got that same T-shirt that Waggoner is wearing in the video. I also had an accompanying ball cap with the RL logo on it, which I loved. Unfortunately, a gust of wind blew it off my head and over the side of a mountian when Michelle and I were in Colorado visiting Bob Monroe. It was a very traumatic experience...

1 comment:

Rich Bentel said...

I just watched the video with a great sense of sadness. Can it really be over? The thought that came to my mind is "How can they be done? They all look so young, certainly young enough to have another 15 to 20 drafts."

Well it looks like in a couple of years the CFCL could literally be the longest running league in the country.