Wednesday, July 2, 2008

OOF on the Move

I've been meaning to post this news tidbit, but never seemed to get around to it.

Several weeks ago our Officer of FAAB, Eric, informed me that he and his wife will be picking up and moving to Memphis in the very new future. The move is a result of a new career opportunity for Eric (he'll be managing a large group of school therapists). As I recall, though they'll be living in the Memphis area, the job is actually across the state line in Mississippi.

The CFCL Front Office wishes to officially extend our congratulations and wishes of good luck to the Lamb clan in in their new adventure?

What does this mean in terms of Eric's ability to fulfill his role in the FAAB process? In the long run, it shouldn't affect it. Since we work mainly by e-mail, Eric doesn't forsee a problem with continuing to forward the bids to me each Sunday once he gets settled.

There will be a slight hiccuup in the process during the time that Eric is moving and getting his new life organized, but we've come up with a process to keep the FAAB flowing with minimal disruption.

While Eric is out of touch, we've identified his former Assistant GM, Paul, to act as BOOF (Backup Officer of FAAB). From a bid submission stand-point, things will work exactly the same. We'll still submit our Sunday bids to the cfcl_faab@live.com address (note the underscore between cfcl and faab).

The process of getting the bids to me after the Sunday deadline may vary a bit while Paul is in place, however. I don't think this will be a big deal, but I at least wanted to let everyone know what would be happening...

Given Paul's situation (he's a quadriplegic, for those who don't know him), he's not always able to get to the computer on a predicatble schedule - though he is online quite a bit. So rather than tying him down to a committment every Sunday afternoon, here's how we'll work it:
  1. After the 3:00 PM Sunday deadline passes, I will call Paul and he'll give me the password for the FAAB e-mail account.
  2. I'll sign into the account and get the bids, then process them as I usually do.
  3. Sometime the following week (as early as possible, but when it's convenient for him), Paul will sign on to the FAAB e-mail account and change the password, thereby locking me out for the next week.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 as needed until Eric can resume his duties.

As I said, from the standpoint of submitting bids, this should be totally invisible to us as owners. In fact, it may even speed things up -- while Paul may not always get online every Sunday, I will nearly always be able to get ahold of him via phone at 3:01 Sunday afternoon, so I should be able to get in and process bids right away rather than waiting for the e-mails from Eric (which, as you might have noticed, got later and later as his move prep increased).

Hopefully this workaround is OK with everyone, and once again, many thanks and best of luck to Eric!

No comments: